Nigerian chin-chin is a very popular snack in Nigeria, it’s made from a basic combination of flour, milk and sugar. There are other optional ingredients like egg, baking powder and nutmeg, these are strictly based on preference.
Typically, it can be either hard or crunchy. This recipe is a fine medium between the two. If you would prefer your final product to be much harder, omit baking powder, do not use egg, and add 1/2 cup more flour.
Feel free to adjust the recipe to meet your needs. If you need to make two or four times the amount, you can simply double or quadruple the recipe.
How to Make Chin-Chin recipe
Below are the ingredients you will be needing:
- 3 cups flour (375 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup baking margarine (115 grams)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup liquid milk or water
- 1 egg (optional. use if you want soft chinchin)
- Oil for frying
Method of making Chin-Chin
- Get a clean bowl
- Add your flour
- Add nut Meg
- Add baking powder
- Add salt
- Add sugar
- Add milk powder
- Crack in the eggs, and mix them together
- Add water little by little
- Mix them together until you have smooth dough
- Roll out the dough on a flat surface, cut into desired shapes
- Set the oil on medium heat, wait until the oil is hot. Fry the shaped dough a batch at a time until golden brown
That’s it, Enjoy!