This bitter leaf soup recipe (also know as Ofe Onugbu) is generously stocked with flavoursome meats, fish and cocoyams. Make it when you’re in the mood for something warm, serve with your favourite swallow, Eba, Pounded yam, semo, etc.
Below are the ingredients you will be needing.
- ½ cup washed bitter leaf
- 4 medium cocoyams
- 10 medium size assorted meats
- 3 medium smoked or dry fish
- 1 medium size stock fish
- Ground dry pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. ogiri (locust beans)
- ½ cup ground crayfish
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Seasoning/salt to taste
Method on How to Prepare bitter leaf soup recipe
- Peel, wash and boil the cocoyam till tender, then blend or pound in a mortar.
- Soak the stock fish in hot water to soften.
- Season and boil the assorted meat until tender then add the stock fish and dry fish and allow boiling for 10 minutes.
- Add the palm oil, ogiri, dry pepper, ground crayfish and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cocoyam paste and stir very well. (you can add more water if it’s too thick), allow cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add the bitter leaf, seasoning and salt to taste. Allow simmering for 5 minutes.
Serve with swallo