Homemade sausage rolls are much tastier and healthier than shop-bought. You know exactly what ingredients are going into them and you can opt for making your pastry from scratch which means you can swap the butter in the pastry for lower fat options like lower-fat spreads.
Sausage roll recipe
Below are the ingredients you will be needing
- 450 g pork sausages popularly called satis in Nigeria and this can be found from any big super market
700g plain flour, extra for dusting
3 Tablespoon of baking powder
380g unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Salt to taste
Seasoning cube to taste
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon of curry
1 Teaspoon of Thyme
Method on How to Make Sausage roll
- Get a clean bowl and pour your flour
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt
- Add 1 seasoning cube
- Add baking powder
- Mex them together
- Add butter and mix very well
- Add your water not too much
- Mix it well and set the dough aside to rest
- Get another clean bowl
- Pour the satis into it
- brake one egg into it
- Add the chuped onions
- Add a little bit of water and mix it well
- Divide dough in 2 or 3 places, lightly dust a worktop with flour and roll out the dough flat to about 5mm .
- Using your hand or a spoon, spread the sausage mix on the edge of the rectangle, carefully lift the sausage and the dough together and fold over once, apply egg wash on the side and roll over again, one last time. (The egg wash seals the dough). Cut off the excess dough and cut the rolled sausage to desired lengths. Repeat the process till you have exhausted the dough and sausage meat.
- Place sausage roll on a baking tray lined with a parchment paper, egg wash the top of the dough, pierce with a fork and bake for about 25 minutes or till golden brown.
And your sausage roll is ready!